1. Over 100,000 traffic accidents a year involve texting. AND it is growing.
2. Traffic crashes are the leading cause of death for youth (15-20) in Missouri, accounting for about 21% of fatal and disabling injury crashes during the last 3 years. Many factors-including inexperience, alcohol, speeding, cell phones, and other countless distractions contribute.
3. Research indicates that driver distractions are the primary cause of fatal collisions. The number of un-belted teens killed in MO crashes during the last 3 years is 75%.
4. Cell Phones and other distractions –about 40% of distracted drivers involved in fatal crashes in the last 3 years were between 15-30.
5. In addition, one of the greatest risk factors faced by teens is the number of passengers in the vehicle. Studies confirm that the presence of just one passenger, teens are twice as likely to be involved in a fatal crash. The MO GDL law requires passengers of new drivers to either be over the age of 19 or part of the immediate family.
Donna Chapman, CLEAR coordinator introduced youth to a parent-teen driving contract. Students who complete the contract with their parent and return them to the high school office will receive an It Only Takes One tee shirt. The shirt includes the slogan: "ONE text, ONE song, ONE drink, ONE glance, ONE call, ONE game, ONE reach, ONE distraction, ONE fatal moment, drive responsibly. There is only ONE YOU!" Posters displaying the slogan are displayed throughout Versailles High School. This contract can be found by going to our district website -http://www.mcr2.k12.mo.us/student-resources.html